Hi, remember me?
Still busy with school, not helped by the fact that my cousin from BC (the one who hosted the reunion) and her husband were visiting. It was short, only four days, but very sweet. Everyone had a marvelous time together.
In an attempt to get a bit of content up, I'm gong to cheat a bit and do a quick copy and paste from an email that I got from one of my aunts.
WELCOME TO SASKATCHEWAN
Thank you for visiting our beautiful province.
Here are a few things you ought to know to make your stay more pleasant:
- That slope-shouldered farm boy you are snickering at did more work before breakfast than you will do all week at the gym.
- It's called a "gravel road." No matter how slow you drive, you're going to get dust on your BMW. I have a 4-wheel drive because I need it. Now drive or get it the hell out of the way.
- We all started hunting and fishing when we were nine-years-old. Yeah, we saw Bambi die. We got over it.
- Any references to "grain fed" when talking about our women will get your butt kicked…by our women.
- Pull your pants up, and turn your hat around. You look like an idiot.
- If that cell phone rings while a bunch of mallards are making their final approach, we will shoot it. You might hope you don't have it up to your ear at the time.
- No, there's no "Vegetarian Special" on the menu. Order steak. Order it rare. Or, you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the two pounds of ham and turkey.
- Yeah, we have sweetened ice tea. It comes sweetened, you don't need a glass with two packets of sugar and a long spoon.
- You bring Coke into my house you should bring rye along, and ice.
- So you have a sixty-thousand-dollar car. We're real impressed. We have quarter-million-dollar combines that we use two weeks a year.
- Let's get this straight. We may have one stoplight in town, but we stop when it's red. We may even stop when it's yellow.
- Our women hunt, fish, and drive trucks – because they want to. So, you're a feminist. Isn't that cute.
- Yeah, we eat trout, northern pike, walleye and perch, too. If you really want sushi and caviar, it's available at the bait shop.
- They are pigs and cows. That's what they smell like. Get over it.
- So what if every person in every pick-up waves? It's called being friendly. Understand the concept?
- Yeah, we have golf courses, more per person than anywhere else on earth. Don't hit into the water hazards. It spooks the fish. And stay out of the woods, that spooks the deer.
- Don't like it? Highways #1 and #16 go two ways – get on one of them. The more people that leave, the better the hunting & fishing.
Read on if you dare!
Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven, God was missing for six days. Eventually, Michael the Archangel found Him, resting on the seventh day. He inquired of God, "Where have You been?"
God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds, "Look Michael, look what I've made!"
Archangel Michael looked puzzled and asked, "What is it?"
"It's a planet," replied God, and I've put life on it. I'm going to call it Earth, and it's going to be a great place of balance.
"Balance?" inquired Michael, still confused.
God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth, "For example, Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while southern Europe is going to be poor; the Middle East over there will be a hot spot. And over there I've placed a continent of white people, while over here is a continent of black people." God continued, pointing to different countries. "This one will be extremely hot and arid while this one will be very cold and covered in ice."
The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to a large land mass and said, "What's that one?"
"Ah," said God. "That's Saskatchewan, the most glorious place on earth. There are beautiful lakes, rivers, sunsets and rolling hills. The people from Saskatchewan are going to be modest, intelligent and humorous and they are going to be found traveling the world. They will be extremely sociable, hardworking and high achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats and carriers of peace."
Michael gasped in wonder and admiration but then proclaimed, "What about balance, God? You said there would be balance!"
God replied wisely, "Wait until you see the "Ding Bats" I'm putting around them in North Dakota, Manitoba, Alberta, and North West Territories."
EDIT: The server monkeys were having another strop over uploading photos this morning, but I finally got the two above added. My brother brought me the shirt last X-mas and the photos are from the family's New Year's Eve party. I just haven't had a good post to use them with before now.
EDIT 2: For some reason the list tags stopped working so I had to re-do that part by hand. 😦 Hopefully nobody missed it.